Sunday, November 9, 2008

Every Second Counts, by Lance Armstrong

Just finished reading this book…picked it up for a couple of bucks at a library book sale.   

 

Just a couple thoughts I have. 

 

1.      We are capable of much more than we realize.

2.      Focused dedication is essential to pushing ourselves beyond our limits and reaching our goals.

3.      A team will help you achieve more than you could ever achieve on your own.

4.      Make sure you are focusing on what’s really important to you.

5.      It’s good to have a cause.

 

And here are some thoughts I have of introspection:

 

I ought to start looking at my day-to-day responsibilities as a mom and a wife as preparation for other challenges like marathons, triathlons, swimming races, etc….When I don’t feel like doing something (like sweeping the floor), I need  to do a better job of just DIGGING in and doing what needs to be done.  I think I can apply more HUSTLE and more focused dedication to cleaning my house.   I need to look at doing what can wear on me as mundane chores as opportunities to build my character and my mental toughness.  Why?  I can honestly say that I would rather go run 10 miles on the treadmill than do all of our laundry and put it away amidst the chaos of my ultra-energetic kids.  Not kidding.  It’s a welcome respite to be able to go to the gym and push myself.  Not that it’s a bad thing that I enjoy working out…but I think by shifting my paradigm a bit I can find more purpose in what I am doing to help contribute to an orderly home.

 

My friend Holly Haguewood did her first triathlon on Saturday.  She struggled with the swim but did awesome on the run and the bike.  (it was a reverse tri in Provo.)  She wants to do an ironman, once she gets the swimming part figured out.  Alice Schenk is doing an Ironman in Arizona in a couple of weeks.

 

For this year, my big goal is to complete a marathon (or two)  and the Spudman, and start a local open water swimming group so I can do a lot of river swims.  I don’t know what I think about getting serious about cycling.  I think for now I’ll just stick to my indoor cycling classes and see where that leads.  I’m not real crazy about the prospect of crashing on the bike…not with three very small kids. 

 

But I think I’d like to get into it, and do Lotoja for example, in a few years. 

 

The kids were really cute tonight.  Shay has started a habit of sneaking out of her room and falling asleep in the hallway, like she’s getting away with something.  Ty’s birthday was today and he got a pair of shoes, a pinochle party out at Shane’s last night, and Dance Dance Revolution, the Mario Version, from Raleigh.

2 comments:

camfox said...

Kaly, I really appreciated your thoughts on applying the lessons we learn from athletic challenges to daily life as Mom. I'm totally with you about prefering to run ten miles over cleaning the house.
And I can do better to push myself when it comes to house keeping. Thanks for the great thoughts!

Kaly Shippen said...

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that struggles doing the little things around the house.

This approach seems to help me a bit--it's kind of crazy, but I have to look at it as a challenge and sort of attack it. Not that my house is exceptionally clean, but I'm doing better. Thanks for commenting!