Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Family Home Evening at Tautphaus

Raleigh has been asking Ty to pitch to him ever since he hit some balls with an oversized bats over at the Taggarts a couple Sundays ago. It's fun to see him take an interest in practicing a little bit, and he's actually doing quite well at making contact.

Raleigh decided he wanted to go to the zoo yesterday, so that's what we did for family home evening. It was my first trip to Tautphaus and I enjoyed it. Shay and I really liked watching the monkeys and the billy goats. Shay did a lot of "woofing" at all the animals. Afterwards we came home and delivered no-bake cookies with mini-m&m's on top to a few of our neighbors--the Monsons, Lisa and Amy, Julie Rigby, Rob and Nanette Hansen, Dan and Charlotte Ackerman, Tracy on the corner of Margette and Darah, Bishop Jacobsen and Patty, and Karen and her husband. Obviously I've got some work to do to get everybody's names down, but our goal is to bring some treats to everybody on Robb, Darah, Enell, and Margette over the next few weeks.


It's so fun living over here on this quiet street. The kids have really enjoyed riding in the bike trailer around the neighborhood and I have enjoyed pulling them. We are getting a lot more use out of it. The only bad part is when Kysa gets mad and Shay and hits her, but we are working on it.


After Kysa took her bath tonight, she was sitting in the hall being funny and she put her towel over her head and said, "I'm hiding."


I asked why she was hiding, and she said, "I'm scared." (pronounces it "scaid")
"What are you scared of?" I asked.

"Shay Shay."

"Why are you scared of Shay Shay?"

Kysa said, "Because she hits me."

I'm pretty sure it is usually the other way around, but Kysa is starting to really be able to carry on a conversation. Yesterday she did something naughty and then asked Ty, "Dad, are you mad?"

I dressed the girls in matching pajamas that have silky bottoms after their bath and Raleigh commented, "Shay looks like a movie star."

Shay said "yes" a few times today, which is quite the breakthrough for her considering "no" is one of her favorite words to repeat over and over. She says cookie and "Pop" for otter pop. She still won't say Kysa, just RAH-WEE. She loves her Raleigh.

I was at the office most of the day as we had staff meeting, but got home around 3:20 so Ty could go golfing. He didn't end up going until later, so I took Raleigh and Kysa to gymnastics. They are going to take lessons through the end of August and then will re-evaluate. Kysa did great in the 3 year old class--better than I expected. It wasn't her skill level I was worried about but her ability to pay attention and follow directions and be obedient. The teacher Erin was great with her and I was proud. She loves it. Raleigh worked hard in his class with 4 other little boys. Kysa only had one other girl in her class. Raleigh is going to do two classes each week and Kysa will do one.

Ty was able to go golfing with Travis and Troy Deane and I think he had a good time. It's a lot more fun to play in the evening when it's cool outside.

Mom stayed here last night and taught her class today in Rexburg before heading to Grandma Rue's to take her to her doctor's appointment. She is doing okay and starts radiation next week. Her treatment is going well and hopefully she'll get through this next step without too much difficulty. I don't know how bad radiation is, but it seems like it's not supposed to be as bad as chemo. I hope not anyway. Grandma hasn't lost her hair or anything. Yay. She is such a trooper.

Raleigh has tee ball tomorrow morning. Barb Ehardt is a great coach. There are a lot of kids on the team who have no clue what is going on, so I'm thankful she does such a good job with them. Raleigh is somewhere in the middle, but at least he pays attention when someone is coaching him. I have a hard time with the space cadets regardless of skill level. That is why I need to stick with coaching older kids I think. I was definitely not meant to be a preschool or kindergarten teacher.

No comments: