Friday, April 11, 2008

Dueling Carrots

I babysat Bryson and Garrett for about an hour and a half today because Jean had some things to do at the hospital with her students to finish up the semester. Bryson was not a happy camper most of the time and had to be held, and had an awful blow out so I had to put him in the bathtub just before Jean got back. I think Kysa and Shay are too much for poor little Bryson. He finally wanted to play when Shay got out some balls. So next time I'll know to get out the balls. I imagine we won't watch them very often when we move to the other side of town. Since I had to hold him, I actually sat on the couch and watched a few minutes of television, which I haven't done in a long time. I watched a special on the best dunkers of all time. My favorite, Clyde Drexler, was voted #2 of all time.
Shay was a little upset for the first few minutes Bryson was here. She did NOT like me holding him, and Bryson would just scream if I put him down to hold Shay. But Bryson won out and Shay was fine. Right after that picture was taken, Bryson started crying and never really recovered.

I was going to take the kids out to the golf course after school, but I called Ty when we were en route and he was still at Skyline working things out for the ACT, which he is administering tomorrow. So instead we went to Apple and Kysa and Raleigh went swimming. Kysa continues to improve. She held on to a noodle and was able to swim all the way down to the other end of the pool and back without assistance. So she was quite proud of herself. I think that's good practice because it helps her work on her balance and kicking. we borrowed somebody's noodle as I don't bring toys with us. I have enough trouble with the necessities. heck, we usually all share one towel!

Ty ended up taking Raleigh and Shay home, and Kysa and I went grocery shopping at Sam's Club. Of course, she just had to walk and i took my off of her and she took off when I was in the produce section. I couldn't find her and we had to do a Code Adam. We had the whole store looking for her! one of the associates finally found her in the furniture aisle, playing on the couches. Since she was not in the aisle, it was hard to find her. my heart was pounding a bit, but I had a feeling she would be found climbing on or in something. It was really interesting though--she was embarrassed because she did something I've never seen her do. I was talking to two of the employees who had been looking for her, and she just kept sucking on her index fingers, one of the other had to be in her mouth and if I pulled one out, she'd put the other in. i guess it was her way of coping. i think it scared her when she realized that she was in trouble for running off. I was pretty embarrassed. It seems like I always get the cart without the buckle for the kids. You'd think I'd check right away, but it's usually once I've already put them into the seat that I notice. The checker did tell me they were getting new carts, and they are getting a new prototype for kids that Sam's is going to be testing out. I love how the CostCo carts have two spots for kids to be seatbelted in. Heavens knows I need all the help I can get with the girls.

When we got home I told Kysa to tell ty what she did at Sam's Club, and she said, "I walked." Then she did a little demo of how she ran away from me. She knows.

Speaking of knowing, Shay is understanding a lot of the things that we tell her. For example, if I say, "go get in your crib", she will run over to the porta-crib or the other crib, whichever is closer. If I say, "do you want a banana" when she's in the living room, she will run into the kitchen and reach up toward the bananas. Shay loves to be outside but hasn't got much of a chance yet since it's been so cold. I'm thoroughly looking forward to having a fenced yard! She is quite the climber--she can easily get up on the couches, the chairs, the dining table, and even all the way up into her high chair. I don't think that's a good thing though!

Kysa and Raleigh helped me put away the groceries from Sam's Club. they were also watching me cut carrots for a chicken vegetable soup, and they each grabbed a carrot and started sword-fighting. It was too funny, so I videotaped them...


Kysa and Raleigh also had a blast helping each other wash the dishes. They will definitely need to be re-washed, but it was cute to see how they worked together and got along. Kysa's shirt was completely soaked and she said, "Kysa mess!" But she wasn't worried about it until the job was done.

No comments: