Friday, December 19, 2008

Kaly's Training Update

I went to the morning cycling class at Apple for the second day in a row. It was snowing when I left and it was just beautiful. I shoveled the sidewalk when I got back and got the Ex warmed up for Ty. I didn’t have to do the sidewalk in front of the house because Clay Murdoch had already made the rounds with his new 4-wheeler! Pretty cool. Then I got the dishes put away before the kids woke up. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but I feel like I’m more on top of things today. Maybe I’ll keep doing this morning thing! I actually felt ready to wake up at 5:40 too, which obviously helps. Yesterday I went to the 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. classes cause I stayed up all night working on the Gillette family slideshow, and figured I might as well go since I was already awake.

Apple indoor cycling is doing its annual “Race Across America” contest, which started on Nov. 24th, and I’m trying to get as many classes as I can. You advance one state / class, plus you can put a ticket in the raffle for each class you attend. I have ridden 125 miles this week so far. I should do another 40 miles tomorrow at the 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. classes.

Here is an overview of my plan for training in 2009:

January: Lots of cycling, marathon training schedule begins

February-May: running 3 days/week, cycling and swimming for cross-training

MAY 16th MARATHON: Ogden Marathon

June-July: Triathlon Training, re-start marathon training schedule on June 1st for St. George (or Top of Utah).

JULY 25th BURLEY LIONS SPUDMAN TRIATHLON

August-Oct: Marathon Training

AUGUST 22nd MESA FALLS HALF MARATHON

SEPTEMBER 19th TOP OF UTAH HALF MARATHON

OCTOBER 3rd ST. GEORGE MARATHON (If I don’t get in, then I will do the Top of Utah marathon instead of the half. I’ll find out in May.)

October-November: Bootcamp/Basketball training

December: Indoor Cycling

Here is a link to a 3-day a week marathon training program (with crossing training on 3 days) that I might use. I will start an 18 week program on January 12th.

http://www.hornetjuice.com/three-day-marathon-training-program-faster.html

Why do this stuff? I love how I feel after a workout. I love being in shape. I love the challenge. I love swimming. I’m not sure that I love biking or running because I’m not that great at either, but as Tom Hanks said in A League of Their Own “It’s the hard that makes it great.”

I also want to play in some basketball games again next season at CSI if I get the chance, and a training schedule will ensure I’m in the kind of shape I need to be in for that.

2 comments:

Haguewood Family said...

You rock Kal. I love the spinning thing. It is a great idea.

Kaly Shippen said...

Thanks Holly. I ran today after not running for a week (but doing a LOT of spinning) and I felt good. 5 miles in 41:30, which for me is good, especially considering I haven't been running. It's addicting...and I'm afraid I'm hooked.