Thursday, September 4, 2008

True That, Anderson

I watched Sarah Palin's speech twice tonight.  Once with my kids still awake, so maybe I should say I watched it 1.5 times.  I stood the entire time, and actually the kids played as nice together as they have in a long time.  They must have sensed mom was into something historic. 

 

The second time I watched it with my husband, I probably drove him nuts with my annoying "oh, just wait" and "the next part is awesome" comments. 

 

Then I had a chance to hear the post-speech commentary on CNN.  Not our network of choice, but we like to hear what the other side has to say...thus the Wolf Blitzer quotes.  (He also said Palin's speech was a "grand slam", by the way, and that "a star was born".)

 

I think Campbell Brown and the rest of the pundits don't know what to do with themselves.  Here is a strong, well-spoken, accomplished woman in the national spotlight who is the MOST POPULAR governor in the entire country, with 80% approval.  Unfortunately for them she doesn't fit the template they were hoping for in a female leader.  She is NOT pro-choice, she is NOT progressive, and she is NOT a member of the Washington elite.  She has a LIFE outside of Washington--outside of politics for that matter.  She has five kids--"how dare she have that many kids!"  I can hear them now.   

 

Campbell Brown has been one of the most vocal and unfair critics of Palin in the past few days, but I think that even Campbell is a little torn after hearing Palin's speech because she is genuinely likeable.  Campbell said, "

 

But it was hilarious how quickly the pundits began drawing the attention away from Palin, talking about how well written her speech was, even mentioning the supposed main speech writer by name.  Bless Anderson Cooper's little heart...a few minutes later he actually said, "I don't remember anyone mentioning the speech writers of other candidates." 

 

True that, Anderson.

 

Not surprisingly, the others quickly shifted attention to a different topic.  None of the pundits commented on Anderson's observation, and I'm sure they were all thinking, "SHUT UP ANDERSON!"

 

My husband and I noticed that right away, and I admire Anderson for having the guys to actually say something about it.  He also said something about how mainstream America doesn't necessarily give a rip about what the talking heads say on Sundays on Meet the Press.  Well he didn't use those exact words, but his point was that Sarah Palin may have more of an impact on voters than anyone realizes, even though she's not at the top of the ticket. 

 

I will repeat myself, I don't think the liberal media knows what to do with themselves.

 

GAME ON!

No comments: